Clarity about getting published:
My list of the most enlightening publishing resources
- How to Get Your Book Published Publishing industry expert Jane Friedman’s fundamental guide.
- Should you self-publish or traditionally publish? A high-level view of the differences.
- Pros and Cons of Traditional Publishing Versus Self-Publishing All the details you wondered about, plus a few hard realities that may help you seal your decision.
- Indie Publishing Paths: What’s Your Master Plan? Choose your publishing method based on your personal goals and measures for success.
- One-on-One Consulting If you’re stuck on deciding the right publishing path for your book, these respected and trusted consultants can help.
- How much money do novelists make? A handful of articles and recent data.
- Key book publishing paths A visual summary of the options.
- Writer’s Market 2020 The bible of where to sell your book.
- Duotrope Find publishers and agents, track submissions.
- Manuscript Wishlist Agents and acquiring editors list the kind of manuscripts they want to receive.
- Query Shark Tricks and traps of writing and revising query letters so they actually work.
- Writing a Novel Synopsis Once you understand what a synopsis should accomplish, yours will be easier to write.
- How to Write a Killer Synopsis Tune up your synopsis writing skills.
- The Shit No One Tells You About Writing podcast Insights and critique of listener query letters and opening pages with an author and not one but two literary agents.
- Should you get professional editing before you query? Figure out what’s right for your book.
- What not to say to a literary agent or publisher Gaffes and faux-pas to avoid.
- 100+ query letter examples that got authors an agent
- Record-Keeping Made Easy: Download These 6 Free Writing Trackers Save time and keep track of what you’ve sent where.
- Query & Representation Treasure Trove Nelson Literary Agency offers several dropdown menus (look on the sidebar of the Pub Rants page) stuffed with information on what makes an agent effective, the ins and outs of literary contracts, and sample pitches and query letters.
- Writing Awards and Contests Rated and Reviewed Writing awards and contests are a traditional onramp that can make you more attractive to literary agents and publishers.
- Everything you’ve always wanted to know: Hybrid publishing Hybrid publishing (professionally supported self-publishing) is not the same thing as vanity publishing (publishing packages for books destined for a limited audience of friends, family, clients, or colleagues).
- Hybrid publisher criteria for reputable hybrid publishing businesses, from the Independent Book Publishers Association.
- Writer Beware An industry-vetted list of publishing schemes, scams, and pitfalls.
- How to Publish an Ebook: Resources for Authors Superb, updated collection of resources for self-publishing.
- How Much Does It Cost to Self-Publish a Book? Need-to-know intel.
- What Does Self-Publishing Cost? A slightly deeper look into this question.
- Getting Ready to Publish Here’s the 101 course you need. This entire site is solid gold for self-publishers.
- Self-Publishing Checklist Everything you need to accomplish to self-publish your book, including timetables.
- Making a Production and Marketing Bible Project management techniques for self-publishers.
- ISBN 101 for Self-Publishers How to get your book’s ISBN number(s).
- Industry Standards Checklist for a Professionally Published Book Standards published in March 2017 by the Independent Book Publishers Association.
- Understanding Crowdfunding as a Self-Publishing Option How crowdfunding can help you raise the seed money to fund self-publishing.
- “Be the Publisher” publishing flowchart Colorful flowchart poster shows you the steps to being your own publisher.
Self-Publishing: Cover design
- Working With Cover and Interior Designers What you need help with, why, and how to get it.
- Book Cover Redesign If at first you don’t succeed, redesign. Check out the inspiring before and after images.
- Book Cover Design Fundamentals What to consider before hiring a designer.
- 9 Ways to Get the Very Best Out of Your Book Cover Designer What to do, what not to do.
- Book Cover Design Resources Your book cover is the face you show the world; make sure yours is the one you want readers to see.
Self-Publishing: Blurbs & retail page copy
- How to Write a Blurb This itty-bitty sales tool can be challenging to write. Here’s how.
- 4 Critical Edits to Make to Your Book’s Description Copy This is where e-book sales are clinched. Give readers the information they need to decide to buy your book.
- How Writers Can Optimize Their Book’s Description on Amazon Optimize your e-book’s information to help the right readers connect with your book.
- The Importance of Subcategories in Book Search Success Search algorithms don’t work by magic; they bring up your book because you’ve correctly categorized it.
Marketing & promotion for every author
- The 15-Tab Book Marketing Master Spreadsheet Plan and execute a coordinated marketing campaign.
- Publishing a Sequel: 8 Book Marketing Tips You Need to Know Got a series in you? Here’s what you need to know before you even finish the first book.
- Amazon Link Anatomy: What You Don’t Know Might Be Killing Your Reviews Learn how to trim the crust off your book links—and why.
- How to Get Your Book Distributed: What Self-Published Authors Need to Know It’s not necessary to pay someone to distribute your book via online retailers.
- Book Marketing Resources for Authors A top-notch resource listing.
- 7 Book Marketing Services to Question Should you pay for these services?
- NetGalley Sign up to make your book available to reader-influencers for reviews and recommendations.
- Great book marketing advice
Looking for Help With Your Writing?
Want more resources like these? Sign up and get Baker’s Dozen, 13 things for your writing, fresh out of the editorial oven every month.
If you’re looking for an editor to accelerate your journey from new writer to emerging author, that editor could be me. Let’s work together.